This could be the theme song of the banksters whose scams have stolen our money around the globe. Whenever I read the financial news lately, these lines above go through my head. Clicking on the link above, or next, will take you to the song on YouTube.
This song always makes me smile. And I love the dancers in the background. It came out in 2005, and I wrote about it previously. But it has been going through my mind and I thought I might write it up again, considering our current national and international financial situation.
From my earlier post here is some more information, and the lyrics. The song refers to the 419 advance fee scams. The singer, Osuofia, Nkem Owoh, is a comic actor who has starred in a number of Nollywood movies, such as Osuofia in London, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. Naija Jams provides us some more information:
Prior to seeing the video, I was confused and didn’t know exactly what to think. I asked myself, “Have the 419ers taken over Lagos? Are they so popular that their praises were being sung on the radio?” Thankfully the video is out and after viewing it, everything became immediately clear to me. I’d like to share a few points:
- The artist on the track is Nigeria’s most popular comedic actor, Nkem Owoh
- Nkem is known throughout West Africa for his comedic wit & flawless delivery in films such as, such as: My In Law, Atinga, Ukwa, Osuofia in London, etc.
- He is often interchangeably referred to as the characters in his films – most commonly Osuofia.
- The song, “Oyinbo, I Go Chop Your Dollar,” is the title track from the comedy, The Master, starring Nkem Owoh as a scheming 419er.
- The song is intended to be a comedic accompaniment and title track to the film, The Master.
- If there was any doubt, lyrics like, “National Airport na me get am / National Stadium na me build am” (I own the National Airport / I built the Nigerian National Stadium (Surulere – Lagos, Nigeria)) clearly communicate this.
Hopefully this clarifies things for some viwers.
You can find the lyrics to the song here:
I Go Chop Your Dollar
I don suffer no be small
Upon say I get sense
Poverty no good at all, no
Na im make I join this business
419 no be thief, its just a game
Everybody dey play am
if anybody fall mugu, ha! my brother I go chop am
National Airport na me get am
National Stadium na me build am
President na my sister brother
You be the mugu, I be the master
Oyinbo I go chop your dollar, I go take your money dissapear
419 is just a game, you are the loser I am the winner
The refinery na me get am,
The contract, na you I go give am
But you go pay me small money make I bring am
you be the mugu, I be the master… na me be the master ooo!!!!
When Oyinbo play wayo, them go say na new style
When country man do im own, them go de shout bring am, kill am, die!
Oyinbo people greedy, I say them greedy
I don see them tire thats why when them fall enter my trap o!
I dey show them fire