There is a good summary of recent Republican race baiting at Crooks and Liars.
By: Steve on Saturday, August 26th, 2006 at 7:26 AM – PDT
I think it’s safe to say the last two weeks have been less than kind when it comes to conservatives and race relations.
* Sen. George Allen’s (R-Va.) “macaca” scandal.
* Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) joked about how a “nice little Guatemalan man” fixing up his house might be an illegal immigrant.
* A leading congressional candidate in Florida said he knows, “from my own experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers, and may not even know how to swim.”
* Two congressional candidates and a gubernatorial candidate believe people who “appear” to be Arab or Muslim should be subjected to racial profiling at airports.
* Pat Buchanan’s new book argues for “an immediate moratorium on all immigration,” in order to preserve the dominance of the white race in America.
And in one you may not have heard about, a Baptist church in Mississippi voted out a 12-year-old boy who “asked Jesus to live in his heart” — because the child is biracial and church members didn’t want the black side of his family attending with him.
And these are just from the last two weeks.
–Guest Post by Steve Benen, The Carpetbagger Report
Steve Gilliard adds more, and says:
The GOP is flipping out because people are tired of big talk and little action and they’re in their final reserves, out and out racism. Their immigration gambit failed, the war is collapsing and they have nothing left.